The 2009 Boston GuitarFest Competitions will run concurrently with the festival. The competitions are open to all registered master class participants, but it is also possible to register for the competitions alone.
Adult Performance Competition
June 11-14, 2009
Preliminary round: June 11-12, 9AM-12PM
Semifinal round: June 13, 9AM-12PM
Final round: June 14, 12-2PM
- Contestants must be at the outset of their careers and may not have professional representation.
- Previous first prize winners of the Boston GuitarFest competition are not eligible.
- There is no age limit.
- First prize: $5000, concert in 2010, CD recording (at discretion of the jury)
- Second prize: $2500
- Third prize: $1500
- Interpretation prize for music from a Mexican composer: $250
- Preliminary round: not to exceed 10 minutes. Contestant must include one work by Leo Brouwer.
- Semifinal round: not to exceed 15 minutes. Free choice.
- Final round: not to exceed 25 minutes. Contestant must include one work of Isaac Albéniz.
- Individual movements from major works are acceptable.
- No concertos or chamber music will be permitted.
- Required pieces may not be repeated in other rounds. While other works may be repeated from round to round, the judges welcome a variety of repertoire.
- All pieces must be performed on a nylon-string, classical guitar.
- All works must be performed from memory.
Copies of Scores
- If possible, contestants should bring one copy of each score to present to the jury upon request.
- The judges' decisions are final. The judges reserve the right to hear all or part of the prepared works. Time on stage before and between pieces is generally not counted towards the total time limit except when deemed as excessive by the judges. Performances going over the time limit may be stopped at no penalty to the contestant.
Application and Scheduling Information
- All applications will be acknowledged upon receipt.
- Boston GuitarFest has the right to limit the number of participants based on a first come, first serve basis.
- Performance times will be determined by a random drawing. Special requests cannot be accommodated.
- Failure to appear at the appointed time will result in disqualification.
- Please contact Dan Acsadi, Boston GuitarFest Director of Competitions, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Boston GuitarFest 2008 Competition Winners
- 1st place: Cecilio Perera.
- 2nd place: Isaac Bustos
- 3rd place: Yuri Liberzon
- 4th place: Jonathan Dotson